Last week, firefighters in a rural area of Tennessee let the Cranick family (of Obion County) home burn to the ground. The family lost everything they owned on September 29th, including the 3 family dogs and a cat. Awful.
“They could have been saved if they had just put water on it, but they didn’t do it,” husband, Gene Cranick said.
The fire started because the Cranicks’ grandson was burning trash near the home and it grew out of control. The Cranicks called 911, but the fire dept of South Fulton would not respond because as the operators told him, ” [they] wasn’t on their list”.
The Cranick family lives outside of the city limits and because, admittedly, he forgot to pay the annual$ 75 fee, they refused to come. The fire fee policy dates back for more than 20 years, which is fine and all, but I just don’t see how they could do this…
This is just all too ridiculous.
OH and just to put salt in his wound and spit in the face of Gene Cranick and his entire family, the firefighters did eventually show up, but only to combat the fire that had spread to the neighboring property…they never even acknowledged the Cranicks, but they did watch the fire consume the home.
This isn’t an actual photograph from this incident, but it might as well have been.
Talk about cold hearted…I mean, I know rules are rules and fees are fees, but to just let this happen to an entire family to ANYONE is shameful — they let the animals just burn up in the house.
The Cranicks even offered to pay the fee on the spot, but they were not allowed. When questioned about this, South Fulton Mayor David Crocker said that they can’t just let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because if they did then people would only pay when their homes were burning down… Sighs…this guy sounds pathetic.
The Cranicks now live in a trailer on his property waiting for his insurance to cover whatever it will of his lost home..
Such a sad story.
What do you guys think, do you think the firefighters should have done something? I think it’s just awful. Hmm, I wounder if Peta knows about this…maybe I should tip them off, because that was certainly animal cruelty.